John Gibson and Company

Contributors

The original owners of John Gibson and Company Press included John Gibson, A. W. Pichot, P. Guillot, and Manual Cruzat. However, its most diligent proprietor was John Gibson, for whom the company is named. He was also the part owner of the Argus while being Editor-in-Chief at the John Gibson and Company Press. Located at 56 Conti St. in New Orleans, John Gibson and Company competed with R. D. Richardson’s and Gibson Press in 1825. Although it was successful, the press often found itself being misrepresented in Richardson’s Gazette. Eventually Cruzat gave up his share to P. Guillott, becoming instead Naval Officer of the Port of New Orleans. [1]

Controversy

Gibson created controversy when his competitor Richardson won the esteemed award of “State Printer.” Richardson won the title as a result of a vote of fifty to thirty in his favor, but Gibson argued that title was given unjustly. He felt that when he had previously won the title, he was not given nearly as much recognition. [2] He acknowledged that he had failed to receive copies of the procedures and ordinances given by the City Council for the award in editorials on both August 28, 1826 and September 2, 1826. Gibson hoped the City Council would correct its alleged error, but the Council stood by their initial decision. [3]

After this event, the press decided to change its style, as well as leadership, to John Gibson and A. W. Pichot. Along with their many changes, they committed themselves to increasing the space capacity of Argus to six columns on March 13, 1826. On January 10, 1826, John Gibson became the sole proprietor of John Gibson and Company, and won the title back of “State Printer”. In addition to that victory, on November 20, 1827 Argus changed its name to New Orleans Argus and became the official paper for the publication of Laws of the United States. Gibson sold the paper on December 24, 1833. [4]

Works Cited

  • Youngman, Charles F. “Historical Sketch of L’Ami de Lois or The Friend of the Laws from November 18, 1809 to January 31, 1835.” 1835. New Orleans City Archives, 1835. p. 8.
  • Youngman, Charles F. “Historical Sketch of L’Ami de Lois or The Friend of the Laws from November 18, 1809 to January 31, 1835.” 1835. New Orleans City Archives, 1835. p. 9.
  • Youngman, Charles F. “Historical Sketch of L’Ami de Lois or The Friend of the Laws from November 18, 1809 to January 31, 1835.” 1835. New Orleans City Archives, 1835. p. 8.
  • Youngman, Charles F. “Historical Sketch of L’Ami de Lois or The Friend of the Laws from November 18, 1809 to January 31, 1835.” 1835. New Orleans City Archives, 1835. p. 9.

This page was last modified on 27 April 2012, at 11:07

VIEW PLACE PROFILE

John Gibson and Company

56 Conti St, New Orleans, LA, USA